|author||guy <guy>||2001-12-10 07:14:14 +0000|
|committer||guy <guy>||2001-12-10 07:14:14 +0000|
Put more information into the comments for "pcap_stats()".
Diffstat (limited to 'pcap-nit.c')
1 files changed, 8 insertions, 2 deletions
@@ -20,7 +20,7 @@
static const char rcsid =
- "@(#) $Header: /tcpdump/master/libpcap/pcap-nit.c,v 1.40 2001-07-29 01:22:41 guy Exp $ (LBL)";
+ "@(#) $Header: /tcpdump/master/libpcap/pcap-nit.c,v 1.41 2001-12-10 07:14:18 guy Exp $ (LBL)";
@@ -77,13 +77,19 @@ pcap_stats(pcap_t *p, struct pcap_stat *ps)
* "ps_recv" counts packets handed to the filter, not packets
- * that passed the filter.
+ * that passed the filter. As filtering is done in userland,
+ * this does not include packets dropped because we ran out
+ * of buffer space.
* "ps_drop" presumably counts packets dropped by the socket
* because of flow control requirements or resource exhaustion;
* it doesn't count packets dropped by the interface driver.
* As filtering is done in userland, it counts packets regardless
* of whether they would've passed the filter.
+ * These statistics don't include packets not yet read from the
+ * kernel by libpcap or packets not yet read from libpcap by the
+ * application.
*ps = p->md.stat;