|author||guy <guy>||2001-01-10 04:10:33 +0000|
|committer||guy <guy>||2001-01-10 04:10:33 +0000|
Summary of changes for 0.6.libpcap_0_6rel1
1 files changed, 34 insertions, 45 deletions
@@ -1,63 +1,52 @@
-@(#) $Header: /tcpdump/master/libpcap/CHANGES,v 1.54 2000-12-17 15:16:50 fenner Exp $ (LBL)
+@(#) $Header: /tcpdump/master/libpcap/CHANGES,v 1.55 2001-01-10 04:10:33 guy Exp $ (LBL)
+Tuesday January 9, 2001. firstname.lastname@example.org. Summary for 0.6 release
-Sun Dec 17 07:14:08 PST 2000 email@example.com
- * Updated config.guess and config.sub from
+ New Linux libpcap implementation, which, in 2.2 and later
+ kernels, uses PF_PACKET sockets and supports kernel packet
+ filtering (if compiled into the kernel), and supports the "any"
+ device for capturing on all interfaces. Cleans up promiscuous
+ mode better on pre-2.2 kernels, and has various other fixes
+ (handles 2.4 ARPHRD_IEEE802_TR, handles ISDN devices better,
+ doesn't show duplicate packets on loopback interface, etc.).
-Mon Sep 18 21:01:49 CEST 2000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- * pcap-linux.c: add support for sniffing on all devices using the
- pseudo device "any"
- * inet.c (pcap_lookupnet): support the "any" device using the
- 0.0.0.0/0 network
- * these changes are heavily based on the patch sent to me by
- Sebastian Krahmer.
+ Fixed HP-UX libpcap implementation to correctly get the PPA for
+ an interface, to allow interfaces to be opened by interface name.
-Fri Jun 7 23:00:05 GMT 2000 email@example.com
- * repair BIOSBLEN loop
+ libpcap savefiles have system-independent link-layer type values
+ in the header, rather than sometimes platform-dependent DLT_
+ values, to make it easier to exchange capture files between
+ different OSes.
-Sun Jun 11 16:46:22 GMT 2000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- * add README.aix file describing AIX-specific issues
+ Non-standard capture files produced by some Linux tcpdumps, e.g.
+ the one from Red Hat Linux 6.2 and later, can now be read.
-Sat Jun 10 14:20:24 GMT 2000 email@example.com
- * fixes to cross-compiling
+ Updated autoconf stock files.
-Thu Jun 8 08:37:09 CEST 2000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- * merged the Linux v2.2 packet support into the main trunk
+ Filter expressions can filter on VLAN IDs and various OSI
+ protocols, and work on Token Ring (with non-source-routed
-Sat Jun 3 16:29:42 GMT 2000 email@example.com
- * -Wall -Werror clean.
+ "pcap_open_dead()" added to allow compiling filter expressions
+ to pcap code without opening a capture device or capture file.
-Thu May 4 13:34:24 GMT 2000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- * do not use strlcpy() if the platform does not supply one.
- linkage of third-party source code can fail if the third-party
- code does not have AC_REPLACE_FUNCS(strlcpy). (exapmle:
+ Header files fixed to allow use in C++ programs.
-Thu Apr 27 18:49:57 JST 2000 email@example.com
- * avoid use of sprintf() and other unbounded string operations.
- NOTE: *errbuf arg is assumed to be larger than PCAP_ERRBUF_SIZE.
+ Removed dependancy on native headers for packet layout.
+ Removed Linux specific headers that were shipped.
-Sun Apr 9 17:44:26 GMT 2000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- * check for u_int32_t (used in gencode)
+ Security fixes: Strcpy replaced with strlcpy, sprintf replaced
+ with snprintf.
-Sat Apr 1 12:06:37 GMT 2000 email@example.com
- * (AC_C___ATTRIBUTE__): call
+ Fixed bug that could cause subsequent "pcap_compile()"s to fail
+ erroneously after one compile failed.
-Fri Mar 31 16:59:43 GMT 2000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- * link bpf_filter.c to make it work with all makes. problem
- reported by Rick Jones <email@example.com>
- * update config.guess and config.sub to latest versions from FSF
- CVS tree
+ Assorted other bug fixes.
-Wed Feb 23 20:32:32 JST 2000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- * use getifaddrs(3) whenever possible. this avoids use of SIOCGIFCONF.
- SIOCGIFCONF is hard-to-use API since (1) it does not tell us amount
- of buffer beforehand, (2) it is not friendly with alignment issues
- due to use of packed struct.
+ README.aix and README.linux files added to describe
+ platform-specific issues.
-Sat Jan 1 06:08:49 GMT 2000 email@example.com
- * (AC_REVISION): add
+ "getifaddrs()" rather than SIOCGIFCONF used, if available.
v0.5 Sat Jun 10 11:09:15 PDT 2000